Purchasing and payments

Meals are served at no charge. Deposits are not required for students unless they wish to purchase second meals or a la carte items. All schools use point-of-sale software to track cafeteria sales and deposits. The system works much like a debit card. Parents may deposit the desired amount to their student’s account if their child wishes to make any purchases in the cafeteria.

Parents may check their child’s account balance and add funds through a Skyward Family Access account. Learn more about Skyward and how to get an account.

Any money left in the account at the end of the year will be transferred into the student’s account for the next school year. Parents of seniors who have graduated can request a refund at Vancouver Flex Academy.

Off-campus lunch passes

Eleventh and 12th-grade students who have obtained parent permission may apply for an off-campus pass to leave campus during lunch. A pass may be obtained by filling out an off-campus form that can be picked up in the main office. Off-campus passes may only be used when leaving school during the assigned lunch period and may be suspended or revoked by the principal if the student abuses this privilege.